Last night's scotch tasting (at the LCBO
at Bayview Village) was good: very small group (~10 of us); shame the presenter didn't know the subject very well; the scotches were, in the order we tasted them:
- Isle of Jura, 21 year old, $128/bottle; one of my favourites of the evening
- Talisker, Distiller's Edition, 13yo, $90/bottle; yeah, Talisker's not usually one I score very highly and this was no different
- Auchentoshan, 18yo, $194; quite flowery but hard to tell after the harshness of the Talisker
- Cutty Sark, 25yo, $228; some debate over whether it's truly a single malt given it's made from 3 single malts; my note said "meh" (a disappointment given it's price!)
- Glen Elgin, 19yo, $200; surprisingly warm taste given the subtle appearance and nose, but quite tasty
- Balblair, $323; I'd not heard of this Highland distillery before but very nice - trust me to pick the most expensive one!
- Macallan, 18yo; presented as the "mystery glass" for everyone to try to identify, and we all failed; nice one to finish on and just pipped the Balblair as my top choice of the night
I was surprised that no-one else there (including the staff) were aware of Spirit of Toronto
which is coming up very soon.