Andy told me about an article in the Toronto Star called "Best beer bars, bar none
" in which they list their "top picks for where to enjoy a good beer or three in the Greater Toronto Area":
- Le Select Bistro - I haven't been here in ages; remember the food was good but can't say I'd ever think of it as a bar
- Caffe Volo - oh yes! Excellent beer selection, great food, but very small so get there early!
- Beer Bistro - bigger than Volo but equally busy at weekends
- Dora Keogh / Allen's - I prefer Dora Keogh for beer (although the Fuller's London Porter shouldn't be so cold!) but watch out for the live bands (ugh!); Allen's has a huge Scotch collection; they share one kitchen so food is equally good :)
- C'est What - used to be a regular haunt of ours but we don't go as often these days, partly because I'm not working downtown and partly because it used to be a handy place to meet between Andy's & our home but now he's just a few blocks away it's not so convenient
- Mill Street Brew Pub - you can only find about half of their different beers in other bars, so you have to go here for the rest of the selection; food's good too
- Granite Brewery - not been in quite a while but they're a favourite stop at the beer festival
- West 50 Pourhouse & Grille - never heard of it; the URL ("hip restaurants") worries me! ... Yeah, hating the website!
- The Rhino Restaurant and Bar - I think this was one of our stops on the Photo Rampage last month; if so, it was OK but I wouldn't put in the same league as Volo or the Beer Bistro
- Victory Cafe - don't think I've been here either
So, looks like I've got some new places to visit :)